Photograph Polars Bears and Arctic Wildlife with Gregory Sweeney Photography
Churchill Wildlife Management Area, Canada
Every October and November, polar bears congregate in the Churchill area to await the return of the sea ice and access to their preferred prey: the ringed seal. This congregation of polar bears is the perfect opportunity for photographers and wildlife lovers to experience bears, arctic foxes, caribou, and snowy owls in their habitat. We will spend 3 nights at the Churchill Northern Study Centre along the Hudson Bay coastline. We tour the Wildlife Management Area for 31/2 days: 1 days on tundra vehicles and 2 days on private van tours with an additional 1/2 day van tour on our arrival day. The tundra vehicles have an outside observation deck for photography and heated interior. These vehicles take us places a regular vehicle can not go indside the massive and varied Churchill Wildlife Management Area. While on our private van with a local guide we will see more bears and also pause for other arctic wildlife. At the Northern Studies Centre we are immersed in the beauty of the reserve area and we will meet researchers also staying at the Centre for the season. There is a deck and star dome for enjoying the night sky. This trip is limited to 7 guests and you will be accompanied by photography host, Gregory Sweeney.
|Where:||Northern Studies Centre, Churchill, Manitoba|
|Participants:||Limited to 7|
|Dates||October 27 - Nov 1 2018|
|Price||$3,900.00 USD per person|
Read my Trip Report from 2017 Polar Bears in Churchill
Trip Fee Includes:
- 1 day on tundra vehicle looking for bears and other wildlife
- 2 days private van wildlife tour with local guide
- 1/2 day private van wildlife tour with local guide
- 3 nights at the Northern Study Centre in shared accommodation
- Meals while at Northern Study Centre and lunch on wildlife drives
- 2 nights hotel in Winnipeg in a solo room (before and after)
- Flight to/from Churchill with transfers
- Northern Studies Centre membership and tour
- Photographer mentor and tour leader
Does not Include
- Airfare to/from Winnipeg
- Meals and drinks in Winnipeg
- Dinner, drinks, and other food while not at CNS Centre
- Baggage Fees on Churchill to/from Winnipeg flight
- Donations,visa fees, phone, Internet charges, laundry
- Parka/pants or other clothing rental from CNS Centre
Guests should arrange to fly into the Winnipeg Airport (YWG) on 26 October and fly out on the 31st October.
We will arrive back in Winnipeg after 11 pm.
- Oct 27 Arrive in Winnepeg - overnight airport Hotel
- Oct 28 Early morning flight to Churchill, transfer to Northern Studies Centre, 1/2 day van tour
- Oct 29 Full day Private Van Wildlife and Bear Tour
- Oct 30 Full day Buggy Bear Tour in Wildlife Management Area
- Oct 31 Full day Private Van Wildlife and Bear Tour Flight back to Winnepeg (arrive 11pm), Hotel
- Nov 1 Guests depart from Winnepeg Hotel
The Churchill Northern Studies Centre
The Churchill Northern Studies Centre is an independent, non-profit research and education facility located 23km east of the town of Churchill, Manitoba. They provide accommodations, lab space, and support to scientific researchers working on a diverse range of topics of interest to northern science. They also conduct educational programming ranging from topics for visiting public to university credit courses.
The Centre is ideally situated along the Hudson Bay seacoast. It sits at the meeting of three major biomes and these biomes provide a tremendous diversity of plants, birds, mammal, and human cultures.
Accommodation at the Churchill Northern Studies Centre
All accommodation at the Centre is shared with a maximum of four people assigned per room in two bunk beds. During this busy season no private rooms will be available. The Centre has private shower rooms, laundry available (extra cost), communal male/female washrooms, heated observation dome, lounges, cafeteria, audio/video lounge, fitness room, and observation deck.
Vegetarian, low-salt, gluten-free, and other dietary needs are supported to the best of their ability. The CNSC is a fragrance free workplace: Thank you for not wearing any cologne, after shave, perfume or perfumed products.